Friday, November 6, 2009

UVM reflections


After a harrowing week leading up to the exhibit debut, I arrived at University of Vermont at 6 am to install the exhibit. All went well and it was set up by time the Translating Identities Conference began.

The exhibit was set up in a large lobby area central to the conference space. The cozy chairs gave the space a relaxed feeling which fit well with the intention of the installation.

The workshop got off to a rocky beginning when the session was misprinted, but about sixty people got to see the website. Many of them left earlier when I invited them to take a look at the exhibit themselves.

TIC monitors informed me that many people who came during sessions took the time to watch the videos and/or read the panels. In between session I witnessed several people reading panels or discussing topics raised in the exhibit. Every time I got the chance, I brought out more printed material. By the end of the day, an estimated 800 people had passed through the space and taken the 200 exhibit companions and 100 zines. The day had been a success!

No comments: